Clogged drains are usually caused due to hair, soap scum, and grease. Every home owner will come across the problem of clogged drains at some point in time. You may follow the steps listed below to easily clear the problem of clogged drains:
• Locate the cause of the blockage. Once the cause is known, you can determine whether to seek the services of a plumber or open up the blocked drain on your own.
• Run hot water. Most drains that are not fully blocked can be easily cleared by running hot water through it. Let the hot water run for about 5 to 10 minutes. It will loosen materials that are obstructing the free passage of water through the drain.
• Pour a cup of baking soda into the clogged drain and then follow it up with some vinegar. Let this solution remain in the drain for around five minutes. Then, pour a large jug of boiling water into the drain. Wait for a few minutes. Run water through the drain to confirm any improvement. If yes, then repeat the process till the drain is completely free.
• If issue persists, pour a chemical drain cleaner into the clogged drain. Ensure that you do this after waiting for an hour post the baking soda-vinegar-hot water option. Use the chemical drain cleaner as per instructions on the package to get optimum results.
• If the problem remains unresolved, wait for an hour or more post use of drain cleaner, before using a plunger to clear the clogged drain. Place the plunger above the drain and gradually pump it. The suction action of the pump should open up the drain.
• In case the above steps do not unclog the drain, then drop and clear the drain trap. It is the J or U-shaped pipe present below the sink. Put a bucket underneath the drain trap so as to collect any debris or water. Remove all items that are blocking the drain.
• If the drain remains clogged even after cleaning the drain trap, open the pipe by using a snake or a drain auger. Keep turning the snake till the pipe is cleared of all debris. When you pull out the snake from the pipe, you will find toilet paper, hair, and other substances that were clogging the drain. In most cases, you may not catch all the materials during the first time. Hence, keep repeating the use of the snake till no items come out from the drain.
• Run water and test if the drain has been cleared of all debris. Seek professional help if the problem persists.
Prevention of clogged drains
Follow the below listed preventive measures to avoid clogged drains in the future:
• Remove all strands of hair from the drain after washing your hair.
• Regularly clean the drain using the baking soda-vinegar-hot water procedure at least once every month.
• Install a strainer in kitchen sinks to prevent food and other matter from passing into the drain. Put a hair catcher or a sink guard in bathroom sinks.
The Plumbing Gurus are Metro Detroit’s premier provider of emergency plumbing services, call us day or night for 24 hour emergency service.